The Thriving Artist Blog

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I'm New to Selling My Art...What Should I Do?

This was an interesting letter I received from an artist yesterday...

I'm a so to speak 'wet behind the ears' artist. I've been drawing since elementary. I love to draw but that's all I know. I can't paint or anything like that. I still know that I can make a living being a artist. It's my passion. I have never sold any pieces before. One time in my high school art class, my art teacher put one of my drawings in a art show and she said that a lady wanted to buy it but she knew that it was my favorite. That let me know then that I was meant to be a artist, it's what I love to do.

I was surfing the net when I came across your site and I'm glad that I caught it because I feel that it can give me a head start. A very big head start. I don't even have a portfolio yet. So you see I need some assistance. I really don't know what I should do. I don't exactly know where to go from here. Hopefully you can help me out a little.

So as soon as I'm able to, I'll be purchasing your class. I like the points that you bring out. Please don't give up on me. Be patient with me. I'M STILL INTERESTED!


Here's My response...

Thanks for the email. Don't worry I won't give up on you :) My suggestion for you is to just keep creating, don't worry about sales right now. Develop the artist inside, keep your creative juices flowing. Please don't think of your art as a "job" that's the worst thing that could happen. When you are ready to do your art full time than buy my course so you can learn how to sell it. There's no rush. What I would like to see you do right now is blossom into your art and how it defines you and you define it. Please don't just go out there trying to sell "stuff" you make unless you are sure it represents your best. There will always be time and opportunities to sell it when you are ready :)

Best Wishes,

Steve
The Thriving Artist